The following Do's and Don'ts of Diwali Pooja has been given by Dr. Prem Kumar Sharma, a renowned astrologer, numerologist and palmist of India.
Do's for Diwali Pooja
Do's for Diwali Pooja
- Always fill the main pooja Diya with Ghee. The other diyas can be filled by mustard oil.
- Always set the pooja area in the north-east direction.
- Sit facing the north while doing pooja.
- Place the idols in the following order from left to right-Lord Ganesha, lakshmiji, Vishnu God, Saraswati Maa and Maa Kali. Then place idols of lakshmanji, Shreeram, and Mata Sita.
- Keep another ghee diya lit throughout the diwali night in the south-east corner of your home.
- Always arrange diyas in a group of four denoting Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Ganesha, Lord Kuber and Lord Indra.
- Make greater use of the colours red. You can use red diyas, candles, lights, bright bedsheets and red flowers.
- Always start diwali pooja with the worship of lord Ganesha who is worshipped as “Vighnaharta” in Indian tradition.
- You should worship your account books also, if maintained. They should be placed in front of the idol of Goddess Lakshmi, but a little towards the west.
- Include lotus flower in diwali puja as it is the favourite with goddess Maa Lakshmi.
- Take an oil bath in the morning, and after getting ready, take blessing of the elders in the family.
- Recite Mantra: “OM ANG HARING KALIM SHREE MAHALAXMI NAMAH”.
Dont's for Diwali Puja
- When chosing gifts for friends and relatives, dont choose leather items, cutlery and crackers. If you want to gift any of these, accompany them with some sweets.
- Gambling should be avoided. Dont play for money. Play for fun.
- Avoid Drinking and taking non-vegetarian food on Diwali.
- Don’t leave the pooja area unattended throughout the night to make sure that the diya remains lit. Keep on adding ghee to it as it gets finished up.
- Do not use too many candles. Use Diyas instead.
- Do not place that idol of Ganeshji in the worship area, which is not in a seated position and the one with right-sided trunk.
- Do not light crackers when the lakshmi pujan is on or immediately after it.
- Do not clap while singing arti of Lakshmiji . A small bell can be used. Do not sing too loud as it is said that goddess Lakshmi abhors loud noise.
- Do not place goddess Lakshmi alone, without her constant companion lord Vishnu.